What’s the word fellow Beatsmith’s? That very special time of year has finally come! No, not the time your drunken uncle get’s “sauced” on spiked egg nog and passes out under the Christmas tree, giving you some instagram photo ops. I’m talking about the Maschine Masters top 10 kits of 2014. This is where we take all of the guess work out of which drum kits are worth your precious time and money. Think of us as the musical version of “Santa’s little helpers”. We here at MM truly enjoy sharing all of our hardware, software and music related knowledge with you. We believe we have dopest community of producers, enthusiast’s and contributor’s on the web. Thank you for an amazing 2 years and counting.
Now let’s get right into it, shall we?
10. [Jake One Snare Jordan 3] This aptly named kit comes from a producer best known for his organic sounding,”nod inducing” beats. This Seattle Washington native has almost singlehandedly created that trademark sound the city is known for. He has blessed the likes of Drake, T.I., and Freeway to name a few. Now he’s blessed us with some of the same sounds he’s used or is currently using to make his beats this kit is a definite must have.
9. [LoopMasters Presents: “RawCutz Super Pack”] Loopmasters is a Uk based company that’s been around since 2003. They feature and use some of the worlds best producers and “Samplesmith’s” to deliver to us their trademark loops and oneshots. In this installation RawCutz provides you with a literal “Super Pack” which is a testament to how in tune they are with the demanding needs of today’s electronic and urban producers, offering up some hard hitting Boom Bap sounds that would be a much needed addition to your arsenal.
8. [MSXII The Sammich Kit Vol3 (Boom Bap Edition)] This is one of my personal favs on the list. This beast of a drum kit comes from team of sound designers that I’m pretty sure are trying to get me kicked outta my place. I mean this thing bangs. Each sound is expertly mixed and they beg to played at the highest level possible. This kit also comes with a bonus folder of samples and some analog bass notes as well so you can literally make an entire track with just this kit.
7. [Echo Sound Works: BOOM! Drums] Echo Sound Works is a relatively new player in the rapidly expanding sound design market and I must say they are quickly becoming the “go to” guys for a lot of electronic musicians. Boom! drums is a “ginormous” kit who’s cup runneth over with a staggering 345 24bit samples that are big and in your face sorta like the Dikembe Mtombo of drum kits. These guys were even kind enough to include 7 kits in Maschine format. Go pick this up for sure.
6. [Beat Butcha’s Pure Protein Vol. 4] Beat Butcha is making a return to our top 10 list once again with “Pure Protein” Vol. 4 last year it was his “Pure Protein” Vol. 2; a kit some of us still use to this day. Pure Protein Vol. 4 is an amazing collection of some of the hardest hitting drums on this list. If your looking to “beef up” the drums in your production look no further than “Pure Protein”
5. [!llmind’s Blap Kit 6] At half court we have a kit from a man who needs no introduction. !llmind has been making sweet love to our earholes with every insanely popular “Blap” kit that he drops. He was number one on last years top 10 but don’t think that because he’s not our “Top dog” this year that this kit is lacking. This kit is like a beat makers swiss army knife. It’s got a lil something for every situation. You won’t regret picking this one up if you haven’t already.
4. [Cardiak Flatline Kit Vol. 2] Moving up from last years number 7 spot is a kit from one of the dopest producers in the game. Cardiak has laced artist like Ryan Leslie, Meek Mill, Ace Hood and a slew of others with some of the their most notable production to date. I affectionately refer to “CFK Vol. 2” as my “baby”. I’ve used it almost daily. Whatever your musical style is; this kit has you covered from “Boom Bap” to the Trap and anything in between. You need this in your life.
3. [S1 Fire And Ice Combo Collection] Fire drums and ice cold keys played by S1 himself are what your gonna get in this brilliant drum kit brought to us by Grammy award winning producer and all around “good guy” Symbolyc One also known as S1 for short. This kit is jam packed with sounds and it’s great to have loaded on an iPad for the producer on the go. With a modest sticker price of $25 you can’t go wrong.
2. [Beat Butcha’s Pure Protein Vol. 3] I know what your thinking, But rest assured we have not been paid off in any way by the Buthcha of Beats. We here at MM truly believe in giving credit where credit is due and Beat Butcha is definitely deserving of the number 2 slot. Just when we try to start our New Years resolution diet; here comes “The Butcha” with more of that “Pure Protein” we just can’t say no to. This kit is an absolute must have.
1. [Jake One’s Snare Jordan 2] Moving up one spot from last years number two position is Mr. Snare Jordan himself. Jake One is on fire this season putting out the musical equvilent of a “double double” with illest collection of drum sounds we’ve heard all year. If you can only afford one kit we would seriously suggest you look into this one. It’s a “gem” that shouldn’t be missed if your serious about your music production.
Even though this list was only supposed to contain the top 10 kits this year we all felt we should give a couple of kits some shine… Newcomer “THAT SOUND” released a very good kit called “Future Drums“. Its a large kit and has a bunch of very usable tactile sounds for today’s urban scene. Another honorable mention goes to Lack Of Afro’s “Atmospheric Breaks” definitely gets an honorable mention as well with a futuristic sash boom bap influenced breaks. So check those out as well!
Till Next Year