It’s a new year! What can we do to make our studio life flow smoother? When I go into the studio, I’m in my own world. This is my spot! This is the one place I can go where all the music, rhythms and beats can finally be released from my mind. Maschine, keyboards, mixers, plugins! I’m in the zone! Me personally? I work a nine to five. I use my iphone and go in corners and record my ideas into the phone. Then when I go to the studio I play back my ideas and lay out my trax. We all have our own methods to the organized madness.
This leads us into something we need to focus on. Our environnment. Trust your boy Rushaa when I say this! The better your surroundings, the better the results. These are just some of the methods you can try to achieve that flow.
Check it out:
- Clean out your studio space. Our brain is constantly at work, and even if you don’t think your paying attention to the clutter in the room, it does have an effect on your focus.
- What kind of chair are you using? The chair plays a bigger part in the studio than a lot of people realize. We sit for hours at a time. Make sure you stay comfortable. “This is one of the greatest parts of your studio arsenal!”
- Don’t use bright lights in your room. This can cause you to be irritated. Then your flow goes straight out the door.
- If you have your equipment in your bedroom, try getting a divider. Mixing the studio with the bedroom can cause insomnia or you may get sleepy while trying to work out that Maschine.
- Spend a little time organizing your sounds on your hard drive. It’s frustrating to have to remember where you put those new samples you just picked up.
- Defragment your computer. Our hard drive is set up to use all the space on the drive. The more you use it the slower the computer becomes trying to find things. When you defrag your computer, it reorganizes ‘like’ files, which equals a faster responding computer. Do this once every two months. If you are a studio beast, once a month!
- If you’re married or have a significant other living with you, ‘make sure they are aware this is your time to focus’. You are not being mean. If they think you are, show love and let them know how important this is to you. If they don’t care…well, that’s another story! lol Unless this is a hobby, we can only get better at our craft with real time and effort.
- Make sure you take a break. Rest your ears. Get some air, go for a walk. Then when you get back in the studio, you’ll be amazed at what you hear. And trust me, your focus will be clearer after.
- Get inspired! Go to the book store, go online and look up some of your favorite producers and see what new advice they may have. We don’t have to copy them, but we can get a boost from their skills. See the place in life you want to be. (Have you seen Timbalands house?! I want that!)
- Finally, love what you do. It’s a gift. You are the only one in the world that can do what ‘YOU’ do. It’s only one me and one you!
And with that Maschine Master family, welcome to 2013!
“Holla at cha later!”